Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Bedtime

Bedtime can be the sweetest, most fabulous time of the day and not simply because you will soon be kid-free. You get to read books and cuddle with your babies, who look at you like you hung the moon. Then there are all those hugs and kisses. I try to make sure they are memorable because the days are so busy that we might have missed out on some of that lovin'.

I think even Jonathan loves this time of the night because he enjoys reading books to some of the littles and tucking them into bed. He did get frustrated with his Daddy tonight. He came in while I was reading to Dylan and Lindsay and said, "Daddy just doesn't know how to work with little kids. He just tries to make them go to bed when what you really need to do is let them watch the older kids get ready and go to bed. Older kids can be a good example and then the little kids will do the same thing." Gee...how old are you again? I'll start the bidding for my future Husband of the Year.

That is another aspect of why I like bedtimes so much. Finally there are no neighbor kids to play with, the house gets a bit stiller and the older kids realize that as long as they are talking substantially to you, they don't actually have to fall asleep. At nighttime, we really do have some of our best and sometimes only good chats of the day. Guess I'll let them stay up and talk a bit longer...I just wish I wasn't so tired and ready for bed.

4 Comments:

Blogger darlene said...

Lela, welcome back to the blogging world. I have missed reading and seeing pics of your family.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Yes, welcome back- I love your posts!

Bedtime- it's really become my most treasured time as well. Carter and I read a story together and then Caleb and I read a chapter or two in his book. That's when I can get the most out of them- the highlights of the day and the things that have made them most sad. We talk about the events for the next day and say a prayer. It's just so sweet. And yes, I do a lot of cuddling and kissing on them as well. I use to blow right thru bedtime, but have purposefully tried to slow down and make it the best part of the day.

I love your idea of having big bro read to the littles. We may need to try that as well.

9:14 AM  
Blogger henna's hearsay said...

Yes -- summer obviously took over, but I think I have my head back on a bit...

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Lela, you make me miss my little boys! We used to do those things long ago and far away.

Zack is now nearly 29 and Robby is 24! Yikes!!!!! I will say both are wonderful huggers and will tell me they love me. Sweet!

Enjoy these nights now!

Hugs!

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home