Thursday, August 09, 2007

Adoption Do's and Don'ts

Transracial adoption opens your heart and mind to another part of the world, but it also creates a new parenting path we have to walk down. I think our personalities have a lot to do with how we cope with life's hardships and blessings, but I believe parents who educate themselves and follow through can help their children become the best they can be. I HAVE to believe this.

Children adopted from China will most likely know nothing about where and who they came from on the other side of the world. This can leave an empty space that love alone can't fill. Also, the majority of the girls and boys from China are raised by white parents who have never experienced racism. I feel like I owe it to my sweet little girl to try and educate myself. I love when lists come along like this one that give some insights into complex issues I forget about for the moment, but loom in our future as Lyvi grows and matures.

All the adopting parents should set those sweet pumpkins down for a few minutes and chew on this article from the anti-racist parent.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lela -

Oooofff! That IS a lot to chew on. It's so logical, too. I found myself identifying with some of what was said because Robby is handicapped, and that's another way of being different.

May you and the other parents who adopt from hearts full of love and to complete your families be blessed with wisdom and understanding when your precious children need it. Such is my wish for all parents everywhere.

Hugs! Barbara

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home