Sunday, July 29, 2007

Singapore Zoo

After realizing we had a stroller, we picked it up at the hotel then hired a Maxicab to get us to the Singapore Zoo. It costs $35 SGD to get us there. Fine for now, but I think we really are going to have to buy a car. Jason talked to the driver (they have all been friendly as can be) about cars. He said that our best bet could be to buy a 7 year old car because at 10 years they generally scrap them. I guess the government wants all the cars running well. When your car is 10 years old all the taxes suddenly go way up. We will have to investigate this a bit more, but how interesting!

GREEN! Biggest impression on the way to the zoo was how green everything is! It is really beautiful and made my heart sing once I realized I was not in an all concrete city. The zoo here is wonderful. A lot of the primates just wander the trees in the park. Jason only saw one on the walking path though. I’ve never been able to get so close to so many animals. They have taken the natural barriers to an extreme. It even looks like the zebra and giraffe could probably walk right out of there area. The coolest is the rainforest walk. While we were there they were feeding some primates fruit and you could try to touch them. Fruit bats were hanging right in front of your face and those beasts have some serious fangs.
They also had a park and water park for relaxing.

We helped three kids find their parents while we were there. I was so excited when a Chinese child ran up to me screaming, "I can't find my Mommy!!!" While helping her, it did make me happy to be in an English speaking country. What a great place to have all these cultures, but be able to understand the locals. While I would love to learn another language, I seem to be hopeless.

The kids really enjoyed the zoo and can’t wait to come back and do everything we missed. Their favorite thing was taking turns with the camera so I'll be sure to always have Jonathan's digital camera (thanks, Gi!) with us.





Again, we could barely made it through dinner without children falling asleep. We cajoled Lindsay and Jonathan enough to keep them awake until we could get home. At least this was at lot later tonight compared to last night.
Tomorrow we start working with the relocation people to see schools.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Fun! The zoo looks awesome! I can't wait to hear all about the schools...

9:41 PM  
Blogger Suzie said...

Looks like you guys are having a ball - gotta love that zoo! Hope that the school visits go well and that you have a great time on the rest of the trip!

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are updating your blog each night so that we can keep up with your happenings! :) Hope the rest of the trip goes as well! The zoo looks like a blast!

Becky :)

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you all are having a great time! It's quite fun getting to read all about your adventures!

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful discovery that Singapore has green spaces!!!! I remember that very thought when moving to Waco. Once I saw trees and grass, I know I'd survive!

I'm so glad you're finding friendly, helpful people - but I suspect it's largely because you're friendly and helpful! Cheers that you can easily communicate with the locals!!

Hope you find just the perfect school for the kids!

What a wonderful was to be "with" ya'll on this adventure!!

Hugs - Barbara :D

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home