Saturday, September 09, 2006

Hong Kong tour



Hong Kong tour
Our guide picked us up at 9 am and off we went! We enjoyed room service this morning, the incredible view and just relaxing. Jason said, “How often do you get to lie in bed reading the news and gazing at the Hong Kong skyline?”

We had a guide and a driver. Our guide walked us through part of downtown Hong Kong so we could get a feel for the “real Hong Kong”. He showed us the medicines and markets. He was good about answering questions and was thrilled to get to take us to a local restaurant for tea – nothing was written in English. He ordered lemon tea on ice for us. I thought Jason was going to faint right there. Hopefully the water was okay though because I enjoyed stopping in a shop I know Jason and I would not have stopped in ourselves. I thought the tea was delicious so if we do get sick, it was worth it! He wanted to show us the differences in apartments that people of various incomes would live in. Along our walk, we also stopped at the Man Mo Temple. They had huge coils of “everlasting incense” hanging from the ceiling. People burn incense to ask for help for various things.
We then drove up Magazine Gap Road to Victoria Peak. Our view is so awesome from our room that I didn’t need to see Victoria Peak, however, the road was beautiful and it was interesting to see the different kinds of housing along the road. The narrow road had a wall of rock with greenery growing out of every crevice. It twisted more then my tired body could handle well, but I survived. We then went to the Aberdeen fishing village and road a sampan through all the anchored boats. Many of the fishing boats are also homes for people.

Our guide was excited that my dad had visited Hong Kong in the 80’s and he made me take pictures of the Jumbo floating restaurant – it can seat 3,500 people and he just knew that my dad would remember this restaurant, which was THE thing in the 80’s.

It is only mid day and I can’t wait for nightfall because this skyline is so beautiful at night – it is something you just have to see for yourself since it can’t be adequately described or photographed.

On the agenda for the rest of the day is a bit of a rest, the famous Peninsula tea and more wandering around Hong Kong.

I’ll probably have to come back and add to this. Mid-day jet lag is taking over.

**So I tried to rest, but have I mentioned the telescope in the room yet? Every time I try to rest, there is something new for me to look at through the telescope! Now there is a group taking wedding photos (one of the most beautiful dresses I have ever seen), street performers and a traditional boat I'll have to find the name of. I’ve got to try and close my eyes a bit so I have the energy to get out there in the middle of it all again.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the pictures! We are all enjoying learning about Hong Kong...keep us posted! Kristen

8:51 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Leila!

It's Steph from the MSN Group! I'm loving following your trip. We went to HK at the end of our trip and loved it...next time , we will probably skip the Beijing pre-trip and just go to HK for a few days first (so we get to see it without a new baby in tow!).

Do you have a name picked out yet, or aren't you telling? We still can't decide either!:-)

Keep us posted!

:-)
STeph

5:34 PM  
Blogger henna's hearsay said...

Steph -- Hi! We still don't have a name -- I haven't heard when we need one either. Next is a plane ride and getting settled in Nanchang so hopefully there will be time to talk names then!

This has been pretty relaxing -- the Peninsula is fab!

I can't get on MSN from here -- I shouldn't be sitting on the web anyway though!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lela,

I am loving getting on your blog every day to see what's new! I can't wait to see pics of Shi Shi!!!! You have got to be SO excited!

Becky :)

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'm playing catch-up as these entries are here when they weren't yesterday. Yes, I've peeked at darling little Lyvia's pictures, but am reading properly in chronological order!

What a wonderful adventure!!

Happy hugs - Barbara :D

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home