Monday, June 28, 2004

Mastering Monday

Swim lessons went pretty well today. Jonathan was the seasoned swimmer since he had a year of swim lessons under his trunks so he went first. For a five year old, he swims great. The problem is that it is all under water. Lindsay sat on the sidelines watching Jonathan worried that he knew how to swim, but she did not. It was hard for me not to laugh since all I could see was Jonathan thrashing about as he tried to orchestrate his arms and legs and plane out on the water. He looked like a pro to Lindsay though!

Next it was Lindsay's turn. Lindsay generally does not talk to people she does not know but fortunately she warmed up to Ms. Ballo right away. When her turn came, she told the teacher, "I don't know how to swim." She just never believed me telling her that being able to swim is not a prerequisite for swim class!

Ms. Ballo expertly steered her into the water and soon started pulling her around the pool while Lindsay practiced blowing bubbles and kicking her feet at the same time. It was quite a feat for her. Surprisingly she was in heaven. I did realize at one time that it was the one-on-one attention she was getting from the teacher. I must take notes and do the same in our community pool the next time we can find a clear day in Texas. I was happy to hear her little voice finally call out, "I'm swimming, I'm swimming!" Victory for Lindsay.

Meanwhile, Jonathan had time to ponder his swim lesson. He became upset because he had not mastered swimming in his 20 minute lesson. Telling him over and over that people have to practice to improve has yet to sink in. I am sure he felt like he practiced plenty today. I guess this is one of those times when children have to learn on their own. Hopefully by the end of the week he will feel like he mastered something in the pool.

Later in the day, I attempted to leave Dylan on the floor so he could practice rolling over, stretching limbs and whatever else four month olds need to do so they can eventually crawl and sit-up. I had run upstairs to get the cooking directions for dinner off the computer. When I came back downstairs, he was gone. I found him on our bed. Jonathan decided that he needed some care so he somehow (glad I did not see) picked him up and got him all the way to our room up on our bed. Really, with such loving and overbearing siblings I don't know how the little guy will ever get to try anything on his own!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home